Re: current_date / datetime stuff - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jon Sime
Subject Re: current_date / datetime stuff
Date
List pgsql-novice
Joshua wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was hoping someone here may be able to help me out with this one:
>
> Is there anything similiar to:     SELECT current_date;
> that will return the date of the first Monday of the month?

You might try the following query, or a variation thereof (replacing the
"now()"s in the subquery with an arbitrary date if you need the first
monday of months other than the current one):

select cast(case
     when d.dow > 1 then d.m + (8 - d.dow) * interval '1 day'
     when d.dow < 1 then d.m + 1 * interval '1 day'
     else d.m end as date) as first_monday
from (select extract(dow from date_trunc('month', now())) as dow,
     date_trunc('month', now()) as m) d;

-Jon

--
Senior Systems Developer