Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ericson Smith wrote:
> I've not been following up on the list for some time now, and recently
> re-subscribed. There is some talk of "Postgresql Hot" which appears to
> be a hot backup solution that may be included in 8.3

What makes you think it's a hot backup utility? HOT is a technique for
minimizing (or eliminating) index tuple rewrites for frequently updated
tables, thus dramatically reducing IO (and consequently increasing
performance) in the right circumstances.

> * How is it different from the current Perl script out there?

I'm not aware of an existing perl script.

> * Can't pg_dump already give us hot backups?

Yes, it can.

Regards, Dave.