Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:16:36PM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Still, I guess I'm missing something though because if you can't access
> the database because pg_hba.conf is setup incorrectly, how does allowing
> you to edit it through PG help you fix the problem?? Surely the answer
> is for the host/Cpanel to setup sensible defaults at installation or
> database/user creation time?

Well I was speaking from overall maintenance perspective. Obviously
during initial configuration there should be some reasonable defaults
configured.

What I don't like is the need to log into the server at the operating
system level and open a text file that has no constraints on mistakes
that can be made within it.

The overall idea at least from my perspective, regardless of Cpanel or
Plesk is that we shouldn't have to edit from the operating system. SQL
should be enough.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/