Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Brian Hurt
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>>
>>> I think for one, mysql uses tables for all of its access control.
>>> Coding plesk/cpanel to modify pg_hba.conf and rehup postgres would take
>>> a bit more work, I would imagine.
>>

>> In a lot of environments, it'd certainly be impossible, at least until
>> we make it possible to edit the config files remote... (oops, recap of
>> endless amounts of discussions on letting pgadmin do that..)
>

> Well more to the point. There really is zero reason why we can't have
> a table representation of pg_hba_conf that is the pg_hba.conf file
> that has triggers that right out the file.

There are two advantages to having pg_hba.conf a file and not a table:
1) It allows me to configure access permissions *before* bringing up the
database, and
2) If I screw up and forget the postgres password, I can set local host
to "trust", log in, and change it.

Brian