Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Wednesday, May 16, 2007 20:09:44 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> wrote:
>
>> I think one of the things that is preventing urgency is that everyone
>> knows we have large patches unapplied, so they know that their lack of
>> activity is not holding up the release.  Any way around that?
>
> Set a fixed date (ie. 3 weeks) and whatever isn't in gets punted to 8.4 ... if
> that means those 'large patches' don't get applied, so be it ...

Meaning we lose a bunch of potentially very cool features, and seriously
hack off the developers who put significant time and effort into them,
in some cases producing numerous updates based on ongoing discussion and
feedback over a number of months.

And then in 8.4 we have the same problem...

I think we just have to accept that we're gonna have a long feature
freeze period, and ask people to help review whatever they can.

Regards, Dave.