Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlos Moreno
Subject Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
>> been just being naive) --- I can't remember the exact name, but I
>> remember
>> using (on some Linux flavor) an API call that fills a struct with
>> data on the
>> resource usage for the process, including CPU time;  I assume measured
>> with precision  (that is, immune to issues of other applications running
>> simultaneously, or other random events causing the measurement to be
>> polluted by random noise).
>
> since what we are looking for here is a reasonable first
> approximation, not perfection I don't think we should worry much about
> pollution of the value.

Well, it's not as much worrying as it is choosing the better among two
equally
difficult options --- what I mean is that obtaining the *real* resource
usage as
reported by the kernel is, from what I remember, equally hard as it is
obtaining
the time with milli- or micro-seconds resolution.

So, why not choosing this option?  (in fact, if we wanted to do it "the
scripted
way", I guess we could still use "time test_cpuspeed_loop" and read the
report
by the command time, specifying CPU time and system calls time.

>> As for 32/64 bit --- doesn't PG already know that information?  I mean,
>> ./configure does gather that information --- does it not?
>
> we're not talking about comiling PG, we're talking about getting sane
> defaults for a pre-compiled binary. if it's a 32 bit binary assume a
> 32 bit cpu, if it's a 64 bit binary assume a 64 bit cpu (all hardcoded
> into the binary at compile time)

Right --- I was thinking that configure, which as I understand,
generates the
Makefiles to compile applications including initdb, could plug those values
as compile-time constants, so that initdb (or a hypothetical additional
utility
that would do what we're discussing in this thread) already has them.
Anyway,
yes, that would go for the binaries as well --- we're pretty much saying
the
same thing  :-)

Carlos