Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlos Moreno
Subject Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> about your feature proposal: as I learned, nearly all
> Perfomance.Configuration can be done by editing the .INI file and
> making the Postmaster re-read it.
>
> So, WHY at all should those parameters be guessed at the installation
> of the database? Would'nt it be a saver point of time to have some
> postgresql-tune
> utilitiy, which gets run after the installation, maybe every once in a
> while. That tool can check vital information like "Databasesize to
> memory relation"; and suggest a new postgresql.ini.

I would soooo volunteer to do that and donate it to the PG project!!

Problem is, you see, I'm not sure what an appropriate algorithm would
be --- for instance, you mention "DB size to memory relation" as if it is
an extremely important parameter and/or a parameter with extremely
obvious consequences in the configuration file --- I'm not even sure
about what I would do given that.  I always get the feeling that figuring
out stuff from the performance-tuning-related documentation requires
technical knowledge about the internals of PG  (which, granted, it's
out there, given that we get 100% of the source code ...  But still, that's
far from the point, I'm sure we agree)

That's why I formulated my previous post as a Feature Request, rather
than a "would this be a good feature / should I get started working on
that?"  :-)

Carlos