Re: Simple query, 10 million records...MySQL ten times faster - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Hoffmann
Subject Re: Simple query, 10 million records...MySQL ten times faster
Date
List pgsql-performance
zardozrocks wrote:
> I have this table:
>
> CREATE TABLE test_zip_assoc (
>     id serial NOT NULL,
>     f_id integer DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
>     lat_radians numeric(6,5) DEFAULT 0.00000 NOT NULL,
>     long_radians numeric(6,5) DEFAULT 0.00000 NOT NULL
> );
> CREATE INDEX lat_radians ON test_zip_assoc USING btree (lat_radians);
> CREATE INDEX long_radians ON test_zip_assoc USING btree
> (long_radians);

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to just use
PostGIS?  Or failing that, using the vanilla built-in point type and an
r-tree index?  That's what r-tree indexes are made for.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
Head Plate Spinner