Re: New version of GENERATED/IDENTITY, was Re: parser dilemma - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: New version of GENERATED/IDENTITY, was Re: parser dilemma
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hi,

some last changes. Really. :-)

I made ALTER TABLE symmetric with CREATE TABLE
so the grammar now has:

ALTER TABLE tabname ALTER colname SET GENERATED
   { ALWAYS | BY DEFAULT} AS IDENTITY [ ( sequence options )]

This works intuitively the same as in CREATE TABLE, i.e.
- it creates an OWNED sequence (if the column doesn't already have one)
- it creates or alters the sequence with the given options
- adds the DEFAULT expression with the proper generation behaviour
in one go. I extended the documentation and modified the test case
accordingly.
I also tested that an IDENTITY column can't be created with a type that
cannot be cast from bigint i.e. box. I added it to the test case.

Please, review.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--