Re: Dumb question about 8.1 beta test - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dumb question about 8.1 beta test
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com> writes:
> The notes on participating in the 8.1 beta suggest creating a dump using
> both an old and new copy of pg_dump.

> Does this mean we can't use pg_dumpall or that we have to restore both
> dumps?  (Or is that just a way of testing what works and what doesn't
> between older dump files and the beta release?)

(1) There's no reason not to use pg_dumpall.  (2) I think the point of
the suggestion is to make sure we have some test coverage for both ways
of doing the upgrade ... but that doesn't mean each tester has to do it
both ways.  Pick one.

            regards, tom lane