Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Arnaud Lesauvage
Subject Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup
Date
List pgadmin-support
simon.abele@gmail.com a écrit :
> On Apr 16, 8:49 am, arnaud.lesauv...@supermail.fr (Arnaud Lesauvage)
> wrote:
>> I found this bug already mentionned in the archives of January 2007, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.3.
>> Obviously it is not so, since I still have the error "No matching tables were found" when trying to perform a single
tablebackup/

> I second this bug - i'm experiencing the same problem trying to backup
> (dump) tables with mixed case names (e.g. MyTableName). I've installed
> pgAdmin v1.6.3 and attempted to backup (compressed and plain, within
> pgadmin, from cmd line) some tables with mixed case names, so far
> without success. I'm able to dump out all lower case named tables
> (e.g. mytablename) but NOT mixed case named tables.

I believe the problem is more with a change in the syntax of pg_dump's -t switch since version 8.2.
I quote the manual :
"Note:  The behavior of the -t switch is not entirely upward compatible with pre-8.2 PostgreSQL versions. Formerly,
writing-t tab would dump all tables named tab, but now it just dumps whichever one is visible in your default search
path.To get the old behavior you can write -t '*.tab'. Also, you must write something like -t sch.tab to select a table
ina particular schema, rather than the old locution of -n sch -t tab."

So the syntax "-t <table> -n <schema>" used by pgAdmin is not correct anymore.

--
Arnaud