Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DBT-5 & Postgres 9.0.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It sounds to me like bobbyw might have two separate installations of
>> postgres (or at least two copies of psql), one compiled with /tmp as the
>> default socket location and one compiled with /var/run/postgresql as the
>> default.  /tmp is the out-of-the-box default but I think Debian likes to
>> build it with /var/run/postgresql as the default.

> It looked like the actual DBT-5 harness is built with "system
> libraries" (libpqxx, linked to system libpq, with debian's
> /var/run/postgresql), but the scaffolding around it uses a "local"
> postgres (server and psql) using the source default of /tmp?

Hmm ... doesn't sound like an amazingly good idea.  But if DBT wants to
do it that way, it'd be well advised to not assume that the system
libraries have either the port number or socket directory defaulting
to what it is using.  Or maybe the problem is that it does override all
that stuff and works fine by itself, but then you can't easily connect
to the server manually?

            regards, tom lane