Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED v36 Re: Final version of IDENTITY/GENERATED patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED v36 Re: Final version of IDENTITY/GENERATED patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Andrew Dunstan írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:

>>> This is just not acceptable --- there is nothing in the standard that
>>> requires such behavior,
>>
>> But also there is nothing that would say not to do it. :-)
>> And this way, there is be nothing that would separate
>> IDENTITY from regular SERIALs only the slightly
>> later value generation. The behaviour I proposed
>> would be a big usability plus over the standard
>> with less possible skipped values.
>>
>>>  and I dislike the wide-ranging kluges you
>>> introduced to support it.
>>
>> Can you see any other way to avoid skipping sequence values
>> as much as possible?
>

> This doesn't strike me as a sensible design goal. Why not just live
> with skipped values?
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

The idea wouldn't have considered to cross my mind
if Tom didn't mention the action-at-a-distance behaviour.
If you look back in the archives, my first working
IDENTITY was nothing more than the syntactic sugar
over the regular SERIAL.

--
Zoltán Böszörményi