Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
jason@ohloh.net wrote:
>   8*73GB SCSI 15k ...(dell poweredge 2900)...
>   24*320GB SATA II 7.2k ...(generic vendor)...
>
> raid10. Our main requirement is highest TPS (focused on a lot of INSERTS).
> Question: will 8*15k SCSI drives outperform 24*7K SATA II drives?

It's worth asking the vendors in question if you can test the configurations
before you buy.   Of course with 'generic vendor' it's easiest if that
vendor has local offices.

If Dell hesitates, mention that their competitors offer such programs;
some by loaning you the servers[1], others by having performance testing
centers where you can (for a fee?) come in and benchmark your applications[2].

[1] http://www.sun.com/tryandbuy/
[2] http://www.hp.com/products1/solutioncenters/services/index.html#solution