Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)
Date
List pgadmin-support
Jeanie Schwenk wrote:
> Derrick,
>
> Thank you for your input.  I tried that, however, ir made no difference.
>
> What I did try though was drop the database, close the application,
> restart and then start from scratch following the same steps I did the
> first time (setting everything up via the interface).  The problem is
> gone although this doesn't leave me feeling very confident about using
> postgresql inside my application as I need it to work the first time.

That's bizarre - my best guess is that one of the system catalog indexes
got messed up somehow which is umm, unusual to say the least.

Virtually all corruptions in modern PostgreSQL installations tend to get
traced back to hardware issues eventually, so I'd recommend a thorough
check of your server - particularly the memory (try memtest86 assuming
its x86 hardware). It could also be a disk issue, though they tend to be
far more obvious in my experience.

Of course, it is possible it's a PostgreSQL bug but I'd lay odds that if
that is the case, you don't see it again (what you are doing atm is so
basic that we'd certainly have seen the problem before, given the
hundreds of thousands of installations out there). If I'm wrong, please
come back to us so we can investigate further and try to figure out
what's unique about your installation.

Regards, Dave