Re: [DOCS] Docbook 5.x - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [DOCS] Docbook 5.x
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 11/16/17 01:00, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
> 1. Can you share the exact scripts you use to generate 0002?

I used the script you (or Jürgen) provided.

> 2. Will you rename *.sgml to *.xml and move src/sgml to src/xml?

Not right now, but we should have that discussion at some point over the
next few months.

> 3. And I still think that hard-coding references and replacements in the
> standalone-profile is not good. Are you going to apply less hackish
> approach?
> (See
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/b4fd6932-8d44-3210-48ab-bbc393bf9a23%40gmail.com
> , patches/xml/installation.patch and patches/xml/installation-single.xsl)

The patches you send me are very confusing.  If you can send me a
separate patch of what you have in mind and why and so on, we can
consider it separately, but right now I don't have much interest in
revisiting this.  What is committed works well, stays out of the way,
and causes no problems AFAICT.

> 4. BTW, when making postgres-A4.pdf, I get
> [WARN] FOUserAgent - Destination: Unresolved ID reference
> "ecpg-type-timestamp-date" found.
> It can be fixed by moving the id from the title tag to sect4:
> -    <sect4>
> -     <title id="ecpg-type-timestamp-date">timestamp, date</title>
> +    <sect4 id="ecpg-type-timestamp-date">
> +     <title>timestamp, date</title>
> I wonder, what were the reasons to set id for the title tag?

In some cases the ids on the title tags were necessary for the DSSSL
stylesheets.  They can be removed now with some care.  I have some
partial patches for that.

These particular warnings seem harmless.  I have found the following
reference:
<https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201510/msg00052.html>

But I see the same warnings in the PG10 build, so this does not appear
to be a regression from the XML conversion.