Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Date
Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Erik Jones wrote:
>>> I really hope you meant upgrades to 8.2.x.  And, no, it's not worth
>>> waiting.  Upgrade at the soonest available opportunity, expecially the
>>> 7.4.x servers.
>
>> I don't really agree with this. If he is running 7.4.16 there very well
>> may be zero compelling reason for him to upgrade.
>
> Really?  There are any number of anecdotal reports of massive speed
> improvements between 7.x and various 8.x versions.  Not to mention a
> few feature improvements.

There is zero question that 8.2 is faster than 7.4 *but* if 7.4 isn't
slow for them... Note, that I meant no reason for him to upgrade 7.4
*right now*. He could wait for 8.3. (I think he should get off 7.4 in
general)

> Now it could well be that none of those affect the OP but 8.3 will have
> the particular shade of magic pixie dust his queries need.  But it seems
> at least as likely that 8.3 will be no significant improvement over 8.2
> for him.  Without any real details about his app, you can't call it
> either way.

I can't really argue for 8.2 versus 8.3, but I can argue that as 8.3 is
literally around the corner, it may make sense to wait.

Mileage may vary of course.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/