Re: How to write a function that manipulates a set of results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: How to write a function that manipulates a set of results
Date
List pgsql-general
Ashley Moran wrote:
> It fetches about 20 rows from a table of approx 4 million, then it
> needs to do further calculations to narrow them down further.
> Previously we have only written database code for SQL Server, and
> there we would use a table variable.  Apparently temporary tables are
> not equivalent and not suitable for this.

Seems like a temp table with a insert into would work for you.

insert into mytemptable
(field1,field2)
select field1,field2 from sometable where field1 = 5;

Then you can query the new temp table anyway you would like while you
are still in the function.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design