Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4
Date
Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I think that from a data integrity point of view the current system is
> the best. At the very least what you propose is a modularity violation:
> Postgres depending on undocumented private data of another system
> component.

I don't think you can reasonably describe the system timezone database
as undocumented private data. Plenty of other systems rely on it, as we
used to do.

But I take Tom's point about most users not knowing if their TZ database
is usable or not. Maybe we need a tool (maybe on pgfoundry) that will do
some analysis to find out, if such a thing is possible.

cheers

andrew