PG periodic Error on W2K - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Lambert
Subject PG periodic Error on W2K
Date
Re: PG periodic Error on W2K  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-general
I'm running PG 8.2.3 on We doze 2000 Server. (Should I apologise for
that up front to appease the masses?)

I am periodically getting errors pop up on the server console of the
following nature:

The File or directory D:\PostgresQL\Data\global\pgstat.stat is corrupt
and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

and

The file or directory D: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the
Chkdsk utility.

Now, per the errors suggestion I have run the chkdsk utility with a /X
/F switch to do a complete check on reboot before mounting the volume.

This showed no errors.

I can also open the mentioned file - pgstat.stat - using notepad or any
other program without mention of corruption and the data within the file
looks to be uniform suggesting it is fine.

Strangely enough, this error was being presented on the last server I
had it running on, and was in fact one of the reasons I moved it - I
assumed the error was due to dodgy disks but this seems a bit much of a
coincidence.

I know these errors are not coming directly from Postgres, but does
anyone else have problems (or has had previously) of a similar nature or
any suggestions on where it may be?

As a side-note, this server is RAID controlled, the D drive has

    3 disks in the array - I would therefore have assumed that if there
was a problem with one of the disks then the server would carry on using
the other disks.

I can find no performance degradation in Postgres, the service and
connections et al. keep on operating as though there was nothing wrong,
but the errors continue to pop up sporadically on the console.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Should I bugger off?

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator