More Slony questions - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject More Slony questions
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello again Dave et al.,

I'm still playing at intervals with setting up Slony-I replication via
pgAdmin, and have a couple more questions -

(i) When you add nodes to a Slony cluster, does pgAdmin automagically
register a slon service (I'm on Windows) and also run the "slon
-addengine" command that's required on Windows to add a node? I ask this
because, after creating a Slony cluster with two nodes, I see a service
"Slony-I"  in Windows' "Services" list which I don't recall seeing there
before (though that's not to say that it wasn't!) and wondered if
pgAdmin had done it.

To add to my confusion about the service, the command-line reported in
the service properties is:
  C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\slon.exe -service

The -service switch is one which doesn't appear in the usage list given
by "slon --help". What does it do, or where can I find out more?

(ii) What exactly is the "Admin node" in a cluster's properties in
pgAdmin? - Is it simply a node in the cluster against which one would
execute slonik scripts, if doing things by hand? Is it required?

Also, when looking at the properties of the cluster via the
"Replication" treeview node of the master (source) database, the admin
node is listed as the slave (target) node; but when looking at the
properties of the same cluster via the slave database, the "Admin node"
field says "None". Please help me make sense of all this!

Thanks...!

Ray.

rod@iol.ie