Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: SCMS question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Moreover work on things like bitmapped indexes that other people want to help
>> on is hampered by this need to be mailing around patches. If two or three
>> people submit changes (based possibly on different old versions of the patch)
>> the main developer has to merge them into his version of the patch by hand and
>> mail out a new patch. The whole point of a revision control system is to
>> provide tools to make that easier.
>>

> O.k. everyone pay attention, I am about to agree with Greg! ;)
>
> Greg are their tools to migrate CVS to monotone or whatever your
> favorite is? The reason I ask is that I migrate the CVS to SVN every 4
> hours I think it is and it isn't perfect.

Are you going to do trials for just Monotone, or will you include
alternatives like, say, Mercurial (which seems to have quite a bit of
traction, and should appeal to you as it's written in Python)?

There is a generic conversion tool called Tailor that might help you:
http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

cheers

andrew