Re: php professional - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: php professional
Date
List pgsql-general
>> O.k. this is bizarre. One, this discussion belongs on -advocacy not
>> -general.
>>
>> Two, you do realize that we have huge mind share right?
>
> Huge? Nah. AFAIK, Oracle hasn't tried to buy up the major suppliers[1]
> of postgresql's "backend" tech yet.

Ahh, because they can't? Oracle can't stop PostgreSQL because PostgreSQL
is BSD licensed.

Sure Oracle could purchase CMD (or more likely EDB just to remove a
small thorn) but it wouldn't do anything the PostgreSQL machine.

You are mistaking pretty pictures of non-reality with hard core truth.
They are not the same.

I have never lost a contract to MySQL. I have lost contracts to Oracle.

We do not compete with MySQL.

Does MySQL have the mindshare of the ignorant? Yes.
Does MySQL have the mindhare of the knowledgeable? No.

Our mindshare is *huge* with the knowledgeable.

I will take mindshare with the knowledgeable over the ignorant, every
second of the day. They pay better.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/