Re: pgadmin as main postgresql GUI interface - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dan Harris
Subject Re: pgadmin as main postgresql GUI interface
Date
List pgadmin-support
Seb wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:49:59 -0700,
> Dan Harris <fbsd@drivefaster.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> If you're used to MS Access, why not use it?  Just set up an ODBC source
>> to point to Postgres and use Access like you would with any other
>> database.
>
> I moved away from that malicious software (fortunately) and, as I said,
> I'm in Debian testing (AMD64) now.  But apparently it's possible to do the
> same thing you suggest with Openoffice.org.  This is not going smoothly
> though, as the openoffice.org crashes before I visit the "tables" section
> of their GUI.  I'm sure my odbc setup is correct, as I can connect to a
> postgresql database using the tools available in unixodbc.  Another tool I
> tried is rekall (available as Debian package also), but it's also crashing
> and doesn't provide the flexibility that Openoffice.org offers.  What
> gives?

Not sure which software is malicious, Access or Windows?  But if it's
Windows, at least you could run it in free VMware server ( I have to do
that sometimes ).

Other than that, as far as I know, there is nothing that comes close to
Access' functionality as a native app for *nix.  OpenOffice talks a big
game but when you really start trying to use it for database stuff you
realize that it's pretty hamstrung compared to Access.

-Dan