Re: postgresql vs mysql (OT: perl) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Murphy
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql (OT: perl)
Date
List pgsql-general
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Russ> Take perl for example. I have still yet to see readable Perl code.
>
> You can't read it if you're not familiar with it.
Seconded.  Perl is like the churkendoose -- hybrid strength, ugly as
hell, only poultry known that can scare off a fox every time, whole
barnyard loves having it around.  The better I know it, the better I
like it.

A language's appeal always depends on your prior language and operating
system experience, not to mention what you're trying to use it for, how
you learn it, the support infrastructure around you while learning it,
how much you're getting paid (in fame, fortune, and/or fun) to program
in it, how long you've used it, how often you use it, what other
languages you use alongside of it, who your friends are, how much of a
sucker you are for what you read in the tech press, how patient you are,
how creative you are, your tolerance for abstraction, the number and
quality of programmers you want to be able to potentially contribute to
or maintain your code, etc, etc.

It's a big barnyard, and it all stinks.  So let's just roll around in
the mud and have some fun.

-Kevin Murphy