Re: Multi-language to be or not to be - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date
List pgsql-www
>> Okay. Let me then ask the other thing that we really haven't discussed:
>> Do we want the language site to be served up automatically. That's
>> really what the code is all about today. If your browser is set to
>> prefer French, we'll serve up the French version of the page (if
>> available). While convenient, I personally don't like sites that do this
>> for me (I've reconfigured my browser to put English as the top language
>> for that reason).
>
> I kind of agreed with you on this one. I particularly hate when google
> put me on their french search website when I really asked to be in the
> english one. I hate this because, with the french search website, french
> pages are ranked higher than others. But I don't think this will be the
> point here. If you have a browser configured to put french as top
> language, that's just because you prefer french pages. And if you don't
> want that, you will have a combo to choose another language.

Well, google is much worse than that. They put you in the language
corresponding to *where you are*, and completely ignore your browsers
setting. So when I'm in France, I get google in French. Imagine the joy
when you're in Japan...

But nobody is suggesting we do that, I hope :-)

//Magnus