Recreate big table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gábriel Ákos
Subject Recreate big table
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

We have a quite big table, which is heavily used by our online clients.
The table has several indexes, but no other relation to other tables.
We have an import process, which can fill/update this table.
The full import takes 1 hour, and this is very long.
We are thinking of doing the full import in another table and then just
"swapping" the two tables.
What will happen to our indexes? What will happen to our current
transactions (only read) ? What will the user see? :)
Should we recreate the indexes after the swap is done?

Btw is there a good practice doing this kind of work?

Thanks in advance,
Akos Gabriel