Re: Postgres SQL Syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Postgres SQL Syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim C. wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>> I tried several conversion tools and did get some minor success with one
>>> or two but mostly they didn't work. The article at this site seems good
>>> at first blush but then one notices that it doesn't seem to have been
>>> updated any time in the last five years.

Techdocs are user-contributed. Many are single articles.

>> I have to admit it's been at least a couple of years since I've used any
>> of the mysql2pg scripts.
>
> Perhaps this might be an issue the developers wish to address?

"The" developers? The various pgfoundry projects all have their own
developers. If you think about it, core PostgreSQL developers are
unlikely to have a lot of MySQL databases to convert, so they'd be a
poor choice to build such a tool anyway.

 > No
> sarcasm here.  I know they are busy and may not have the resources any
> time soon. If it hasn't been much under consideration for several years
> they may want to think about it though.

Well, I said that *I* haven't used any for a couple of years, but
mysql2pgsql seems to have been updated *today*.
   http://pgfoundry.org/projects/mysql2pgsql/
What I'd suggest is running it, identifying what doesn't work for you,
and submitting a bug-report. Better still, a bug-report with a patch.
I'm sure Jose and Joe would appreciate any improvements.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd