Re: daylight savings patches needed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: daylight savings patches needed?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I was trying to avoid getting into the gory details of which releases
> had which timezone fixes, but it seems I can't avoid it.  The new FAQ
> item has the details:
>
>     USA daylight saving time changes are included in PostgreSQL release
>     8.0.[4+], and all later major releases, e.g. 8.1.  Canada and Western
>     Australia changes are included in 8.0.[10+], 8.1.[6+], and all later
>     major releases.  PostgreSQL releases prior to 8.0 use the operating
>     system's timezone database for daylight saving information.
>
> If this is unclear, please let me know.

Don't know if this was asked/answered elsewhere but:

1. What, exactly, was the point of moving away from the system zoneinfo
files and requiring PG admins to maintain yet another apparently
identical set of files? It seemed to work fine as it was and for me this
change just adds more work and chance of error.

2. Is there a build option to put it back to the old way?

3. If 2.answer=no then would there be any problem just symlinking the PG
timezone directory to the system zoneinfo directory?

Cheers,
Steve