Re: pre-vcbuild win32 install docs incorrect - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pre-vcbuild win32 install docs incorrect
Date
Re: pre-vcbuild win32 install docs incorrect  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 10:12 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> This patch fixes a really bad recommendation that's not been removed
>> from the client-only installation instructions. We removed this
>> recommendation as of 8.1, but it's still included in the documentation :-(
>>
>> Please consider back-patching this into the 8.1 and 8.2 version of the
>> documentation, as it's something we really don't want people to do.
>
> I backpatched this to 8.0, since that branch still has the suggestion.
> Thanks for the patch.

Thanks.

>> *** doc\src\sgml/install-win32.sgml    16 Sep 2006 00:30:14 -0000    1.29
>> --- doc\src\sgml/install-win32.sgml    2 Feb 2007 09:07:48 -0000
>
> Please don't do this :)

You know, I wish I didn't have to ;-) Unfortunately, the only way for me
to create a patch offline (like this one, on an airplane) is to rsync
the cvs repository down to the local drive, and run cvsnt on it - since
cvs does not support offline diff. And the only way to make it not put
in backslashes instead of slashes is do run the diff in the docs
directory and not in the root :-(

Does this actually cause a problem for you when you're committing, or is
is just that it looks bad? Because if it causes a problem I can manually
edit them out of my patches before I submit.

//Magnus