Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprof profiling overwrites - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprof profiling overwrites
Date
List pgsql-patches
korryd@enterprisedb.com wrote:
>> And the patch is where?
>
> You caught me; guess I'd better make something up fast, huh?
>
> Here it is, thanks.
>
>             -- Korry

>> korryd@enterprisedb.com <mailto:korryd@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > It's difficult to profile a backend server process  (using gprof)
>> > because each process overwrites any earlier profile as it exits.
>> >
>> > It is especially tricky to nab a useful profile if you happen to have
>> > autovacuum enabled.
>> >
>> > This patch reduces the problem by forcing the backend to 'cd' to a new
>> > directory ($PGDATA/gprof/pid) just before calling exit(), but only if
>> > the backend was compiled with -DLINUX_PROFILE.

Nice addition - tested on FreeBSD 6.2, works great!

The name for the define variable could perhaps be better - feels silly
adding -DLINUX_PROFILE on Freebsd! (maybe just PROFILE or GPROF_PROFILE?).

Cheers

Mark