Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jim Nasby wrote:
>> already bigger companies supporting PostgreSQL. (thanks Fujitsu)
>
> I disagree about the significance... If Oracle starts supporting MySQL,
> they're essentially putting their name behind that database. While
> people on this list know that that won't change any of the technical
> deficiencies in MySQL, there's a lot of business types that won't.

Oracle already supports a free-as-in-cheap database in it's
"Oracle Database Express Edition".   I think if a company did
want a low-end database they would use that one.

> Put another way, if you were going to choose between open source
> databases, which would you rather go with?

How do people choose Linux distros or Linux vs BSD?

The one with the largest company providing support?  AFAIK that'd
be Debian (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6104891.html).
But do people choose them as their Linux vendor?   Some do,  (like
Motorolla) but it's mostly those that already work with them and
want to consolidate their vendors. More customers choose the
vendor best able to give support (probably Red Hat) even if
it's smaller and less well known.

I suspect for F/OSS databases the same is likely to be true.
Those that already have a large Oracle support contract and
like it will go with Oracle for MySQL and Linux support too.

> Put another way, if you were going to choose between open source
> databases, which would you rather go with? One that's only supported by
> (relatively) unknown companies, or one that's supported by the 800 pound
> gorilla sitting in the corner?

As mentioned, PostgreSQL has gorilla friends too.  Fujitsu's in the
top 5 IT companies in the world.   While Oracle's may be known to
more of the general public, I think Red Hat and Fujitsu are known
to everyone who makes significant IT buying decisions.

> Another interesting thought... if Oracle offers support for MySQL, it
> certainly wouldn't surprise me if they ended up outright *buying* them
> in a few years.

I expect this to happen once Oracle finds the price that
Benchmark, IVP and the rest of the big MySQL investors want.

If any postgresql support company gets the same kind of customer
list MySQL has (Google, Yahoo, LANL, US Census Dept) and does a
few press releases to get attention I bet Oracle will try to buy
them too.  Ellison pretty much said Oracle's interested in buying
a wide range of IT companies, even ones that compete with them.