Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding
Date
Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/2007 4:39 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2007, at 5:13 AM, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>> In Postgres-R, I mostly use the terms 'local' and 'remote'.
>
> Note that those terms only make sense if you limit yourself to
> thinking the master is pushing data out to the slave...
>
> I think it'd make the most sense if the name reflected whether the
> trigger should be fired by a replication process or not; that way it
> doesn't really matter if it's a master or a slave... if the data in
> the table is being modified by a replication process then you don't
> fire the trigger/rule, according to the setting. But maybe there is
> some need to discern between origin and target...

That's why I prefer "origin" and "replica". I want to use the same terms
in the sessions mode GUC, and there "local" could be misinterpreted as
"doesn't replicate at all".

> Also, if enums will be in 8.3, perhaps they can be used instead of
> "char"?

I don't like this one. It makes it impossible to provide patches,
enabling this replication system on older Postgres releases. And you
know that your customers will want them.

Jan