Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Date
Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module  (Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
> The problem with this proposal is that the ISPs aren't the ones running
> configure --- these days, most people are running prebuilt packages
> (RPMs or DEBs or what have you).  So what you are hoping is that the
> packagers will choose to do this and thereby force these modules into
> the "standard" configuration for everybody using their packages.  I'm
> not sure that the packagers will change ... well maybe Gentoo will,
> but not anyone with more conservative policies ... and I'm pretty sure
> any who do will get push-back from people who still won't trust contrib.

Well perhaps it is time to trim Contrib even further. E.g;

Why is ltree still in contrib? What prevents it from being in core?

Why is pgcrypto,pgstattuple and pg_freespacemap in contrib?

I would almost think it makes sense to have:

/modules - This is for things that are indeed modules they will be
installed by default but are not *internal* like sum() or generate_series()

/contrib - This is for things like adminpack, dblink, pgbench

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/