Physical separation of tables and indexes - where pg_xlog should go? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ireneusz Pluta
Subject Physical separation of tables and indexes - where pg_xlog should go?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello

I am going to separate physical locations of tables and their indexes, by moving indexes to a
different volume, through use of tablespaces.

As the data are going to be split, I am considering where pg_xlog should go. It is a general well
known advise to keep pg_xlog on a different physical location than data, so it would be nice to have
a third dedicated place. Unfortunately, this is not an option at the moment.

So here my question comes, what could be better:
1. keeping pg_xlog together with tables, or
2. keeping pg_xlog together with indexes?

My database is mainly readonly, with exceptinos for overnight periods, when bulk data is inserted
and updated.

Thank you

Ireneusz Pluta