Re: Recovering a deleted database problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)
Subject Re: Recovering a deleted database problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
> Well, I'd be a little worried about whether the base backup was
> self-consistent, but if it was taken at a time where the DB was idle
> then you can probably get away with this.

It gets backed up at 2am in the morning and AFAIK there'd be very few
(if any) transactions going through until about 5am, so it should be OK.
> AFAIK the only operations that have non-rollbackable side effects are
> CREATE/DROP DATABASE and CREATE/DROP TABLESPACE.  For any of these,
> you'd end up with inconsistent state if you try to stop replay just
> before the commit record.

OK thanks for that Tom, after glancing through the online documentation,
I've enabled logging of checkpoints etc. by setting "log_min_messages"
to "log" - is this enough to log the times that transactions are
committed, so I can find this info should I need it again in the future?

Thanks,

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"