Re: More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Erik Jones wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> writes:
>>
>>> That's a good idea, but first I'll still need to run it by my
>>> sysadmin wrt space -- our dump files are around 22GB when we can let
>>> them finish these days.
>>>

>> Given that we're now speculating about regex problems, you could do a
>> test run of "pg_dump -s" with logging enabled; that shouldn't take an
>> unreasonable amount of time or space.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>>
> Sounds like a post-lunch plan!  By the way, even though this isn't
> even solved yet, thank you for all of your help!

Ok, this ended up taking a bit longer to get to due to the fact that
we've been building indexes on our user tables off and on for the last
few days.   But, I'm back on it now.  Here is my general plan of
action:  I'm going to do a schema dump of the pg_catalog schema from a
fresh, clean 8.2 install and, tomorrow night after I do the same against
the db we've been having issues with, diff the two to see if there are
any glaring discrepancies.  While running the dump from the live db I
will have statement logging on for the dump, are there any queries or
query lengths that I should pay particular attention to?

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development