Slow dump? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Erik Jones
Subject Slow dump?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello, we recently migrated our system from 8.1.x to 8.2 and when
running dumps have noticed an extreme decrease in speed where the dump
is concerned (by more than a factor of 2).  I was wondering  if someone
might offer some suggestions as to what may be causing the problem.  How
important are max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations to doing a dump?  I
was just looking over your config file and that's the only thing that
jumped out at me as needing to be changed.

Machine info:
OS: Solaris 10
Sunfire X4100 XL
2x AMD Opteron Model 275 dual core procs
8GB of ram

Pertinent postgres settings:
shared_buffers: 50000
work_mem: 8192
maintenance_work_mem: 262144
max_stack_depth: 3048 (default)

There doesn't  seem to be any other performance degradation while the
dump is running (which I  suppose is good).  Any ideas?

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development