Re: Transparent column encryption - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Transparent column encryption
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06.10.22 17:19, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> psql error: stderr: 'OPENSSL_Uplink(00007FFC165CBD50,08): no OPENSSL_Applink'
>> What in the world is that about?  What scant information I could find
>> suggests that it has something to do with building a "release" build against
>> an "debug" build of the openssl library, or vice versa.  But this patch
>> doesn't introduce any use of openssl that we haven't seen before.
> It looks to me that one needs to compile, in some form, openssl/applink.c and
> link it to the application. No idea why that'd be required now and not
> earlier.

I have figured this out.  The problem is that on Windows you can't
reliably pass stdio FILE * handles between the application and OpenSSL.
To give the helpful places I found some Google juice, I'll mention them
here:

- https://github.com/edenhill/librdkafka/pull/3602
- https://github.com/edenhill/librdkafka/issues/3554
- https://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-users@openssl.org/msg91029.html