Re: Starting Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Starting Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2006 at 11:12, Bob Pawley wrote:
>
>> which in PostgreSQL is????
>
> It's not in PostgreSQL - it's the shell of your operating system. In
> Windows, you get that either by clicking Start -> Run and typing
> "command" or "cmd" (depending on your version of windows), or by
> clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt.

But in any case, you probably don't want to start it like that. On
Windows you probably want to go into the service manager (in
administrative tools iirc) and on Linux something like
/etc/init.d/postgresql start - that way you'll get the proper startup
sequence, setting any environment variables and redirecting logging etc.

By the way - what page were you quoting that intruction from? I don't
recognise it. I'm particularly puzzled because it referred to "Postgres"
rather than "PostgreSQL".

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd