Re: Recovery from WAL archives not advancing timeline? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rui DeSousa
Subject Re: Recovery from WAL archives not advancing timeline?
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Aug 10, 2020, at 8:03 PM, Rui DeSousa <rui@crazybean.net> wrote:

On Aug 10, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:

I'm following up to see if anyone else would categorize this as a bug. It renders my old primaries dead until I do a restore on them.

No, I don’t think so.  When you promote a standby; the primary will have to be restored or rewinded using pg_rewind to turn it into a replica.  Another approach is to cleanly shutdown the primary and then you can turn it into a replica without doing a restore or pg_rewind.

Just to be clear if it wasn’t already self evident by my above statement: The primary needs to be clearly shutdown (all WALs archived), apply all WALs to replica, promote the replica and then the original primary can be turn into a replica without a restore or pg_rewind.