Re: [HACKERS] A Better External Sort? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Peacetree
Subject Re: [HACKERS] A Better External Sort?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] A Better External Sort?  ("Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org>)
List pgsql-performance
I've now gotten verification from multiple working DBA's that DB2, Oracle, and
SQL Server can achieve ~250MBps ASTR (with as much as ~500MBps ASTR in
setups akin to Oracle RAC) when attached to a decent (not outrageous, but
decent) HD subsystem...

I've not yet had any RW DBA verify Jeff Baker's supposition that ~1GBps ASTR is
attainable.  Cache based bursts that high, yes.  ASTR, no.

The DBA's in question run RW installations that include Solaris, M$, and Linux OS's
for companies that just about everyone on these lists are likely to recognize.

Also, the implication of these pg IO limits is that money spent on even moderately
priced 300MBps SATA II based RAID HW is wasted $'s.

In total, this situation is a recipe for driving potential pg users to other DBMS.

25MBps in and 15MBps out is =BAD=.

Have we instrumented the code in enough detail that we can tell _exactly_ where
the performance drainage is?

We have to fix this.
Ron