Re: Error installing PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error installing PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
> When I try to install:  postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel5.i386.rpm
> I get a dependency error saying that file:  libpg.so.4 is missing.

This indicates that somewhere in your system is a package that depends
on a pre-8.2 version of libpq.  The error message should have told
you which package (or packages) that is.  You can either remove it/them,
if they are packages you don't need; or look for updated versions.

One of the good things about open source is you can fix this kind of
problem yourself.  If some of those packages *are* things you need, and
you can't find updated versions, just get the source RPM (SRPM) and
rebuild them yourself after installing the newer postgresql-libs.

            regards, tom lane