Re: postgres at startup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: postgres at startup
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael McCloskey wrote:
> Postgres is starting automatically for me at startup.
> When I boot up my machine and then check the running processes I see
> postmaster.exe and 4 postgres processes.
> How can I stop this?
> I don't want Postgres starting up automatically.

On a linux machine, there are a set of startup scripts in /etc/init.d
which are linked to from /etc/rc[12345].d. Google around and you'll find
details for your particular operating-system.

On a windows machine, you can control services through the
control-panel. You can both start/stop services and control whether they
start up automatically.

If you don't know how to start/stop services, or take backups etc. then
I'd recommend getting a book on administering systems. Better to know
these things before you need to (which always seems to be 9pm Friday night).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd