Re: On what we want to support: travel? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date
Re: On what we want to support: travel?
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I think that Peter has a point here ... both standards bodies and OSS
> conferences attract new users.  The question is what kind of new users
> we want to attract.  That is, while PostgreSQL can always use more
> Perl hackers and OSS-CRMs supporting/using our database, it's probably
> more important to attract the interest of bank CTOs and major
> manufacturer procurement managers.  We want to be evaluated as an
> enterprise RDBMS before an open source RDBMS.  So I can see that.
>
> However, I'll stand my evaluation that we need to work on "bang for
> the buck" basis.  Some of these standards bodies and trade groups can
> absorb enormous amounts of money while delivering questionable
> benefits (having been to TPC meetings, the TPC falls into this class
> in my mind) wheras others are more modest and provide immediate
> opportunities.  So I might put the latter ahead of flying David to
> Brazil, but not the former.
Does Sun, by any chance, plan on getting into TPC for Sun Supported
PostgreSQL?  Alternately, perhaps one of the companies that has a
PostgreSQL based product would be willing to foot the bill so that the
community could have some nifty benchmarks...  I would think that they
could see the ROI - just by the ability to better classify PostgreSQL
among the bigger boys.  I would think that a number of corporations with
PostgreSQL based products could benefit (from a sales perspective) from
the TPC benchmarks...especially when they come at such a low cost to
them.  I also think that they could provide some of the manpower
required for these benchmarks....

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group