Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Yeah more case studies would be nice, but I guess PostgreSQL will need
to be driven from DBA's. Some of the derivatives will be able to use
marketing as a tool. But again PostgreSQL is a tool suited best for
DBA's. This should be made clear at every opportunity. This makes it
clear that PostgreSQL is not lagging behind MySQL in terms of scability
or features, just that its tailored to a smaller group of people than
the armies of PHP developers that use MySQL. This is not a sign of
weakness, just a sign of focus.

However, with the growth that PostgreSQL is putting down from the
already powerful base I am not all that worried. Like I said early on in
this thread, many of the features available in MySQL since the past
years simply lack polish. They are often slow and incomplete with the
notable exception of their charset support and the imminent release of
their partition support.

So to make my key point clear once again:
Its important to make people understand that PostgreSQL has no intention
on competing with MySQL over developers. PostgreSQL is competing for DBA's.

regards,
Lukas