Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
John Wang wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Generally we try to avoid the MySQL
>> comparison because it's not doing open source in general any good to
>> constantly have PostgreSQL and MySQL pitted against each other.  We'd
>> rather be compared with Oracle and DB2.
>

> IMO, that's fine if you only want Oracle and DB2 users and want to let all
> the other sites run MySQL. Is that the case?

Well I typically look at it from a MySQL can't compare to PostgreSQL but
PostgreSQL can compare to Oracle or DB2. That is the argument I use when
comparing MySQL to PostgreSQL.

JoshB has a good point in that although we do want people to use
PostgreSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL share a common goal and bond. It is
that we are both OSS. It may upset the general OSS momentum to fight
amongst the projects when the actual enemy is closed source database
software.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/