Database bar (was: Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Erwin Brandstetter
Subject Database bar (was: Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably)
Date
List pgadmin-support
brandstetter@falter.at wrote:
> dpage@vale-housing.co.uk wrote:
>> On 17/10/06 15:23, "Erwin Brandstetter" <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>> (...)
>>     I can (and do) have multiple connections registered, with
>> different  usernames to the same server.
>>     There is no way to tell one from the other in the dialogue.
>>
>> I’ll see if I can add the username to the combo box. BTW; how are you
>> opening the query tool – from the browser, or from the command line?
>> On the command line the dialogue works slightly differently as it
>> doesn’t have the browser to query for the database names etc. iirc,
>> Magnus made the combos writeable in command line startup mode so you
>> can manually type in the database name.
>
> I am using the "Database bar" from the SQL dialogue window, which I
> open with a click on the icon with the pencil in the tool bar of the
> main window.
>
> To be precise, not only the "maintainance DB" is being displayed.
> In my case I have a DB cluster with 3 databases: "postgres" (=
> maintainance DB), "phpsession" and "event" (besides template0 and
> template1).
> After I have picked my "Server" I can chose from "postgres",
> "phpsession" and "template1". But "event" (being the main database) is
> not in the list.

After further testing I could narrow down the cause.
When I try to connect to another database on the same host (same
IP-address), then a database of the _same name_ as the one of the
current connection is not listed and cannot be chosen.
Concerns connections on different port or with different login. This
happens to be the one situation where the feature would be most useful
(to me).
Tested with plain TCP/IP connection to a remote server as well as with
SSH-connection and portforwarding.
Contrary to initial suspicions, maintainance DB seems to be unrelated.

The other aforementioned problems still exist in rev. 5508:5517 (but are
less important IMO).

Regards
Erwin