Re: Configuration Issue ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Configuration Issue ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mark Lonsdale wrote:

> Hi Josh
>
> Thanks for the feedback, that is most usefull.  When you said one of the
> settings was likely killing us, was it all of the settings for
> max_fsm_relations, max_fsm_pages, and sort_mem or just the setting for
> sort_mem ?
>
> Can you explain why the setting would be killing me :-)

The sort_mem is crucial. It's memory *per sort*, which means one query
can use several times that amount.

> The long and short is you need to upgrade to at least 7.4, preferrably
> 8.1.

Joshua means this too. Upgrade to 7.3.16 within the next few days, then
test out something more recent. You should see some useful performance
gains from 8.1.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd