Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Duncan Garland wrote:
>> How do you position Postgres against MySQL 5.0?
>
> We don't.  We produce useful database software, and people use it or
> they don't.

That really isn't a helpful answer Peter. On paper, MySQL 5.0 looks like
a very healthy competitor to PostgreSQL. We all know that MySQL 5.0 is
still very immature in the feature set that (on paper) compares very
well with PostgreSQL. This individual obviously does not.

Duncan, to answer your question; PostgreSQL is an extremely mature and
scalable database. The features that matter to an enterprise such as:
Table Spaces, Stored Procedures, Save Points, Sub Queries, Two Phase
Commit, Table Partitioning and extremely high scalability are much more
mature in PostgreSQL than MySQL 5.0.

In short, we really compare closer to an Oracle or DB2 then a MySQL.
MySQL just isn't there yet.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/